You’ve possibly heard from a couple of sources that running with your phone is dangerous or that you shouldn’t run with your phone. For some reason, this looks like a nice piece of advice to follow. After all, you wouldn’t want to get distracted from instant messages, tweets, emails, status updates, texts, to-do/calendar reminders, and other distractions from your phone while running.
However, there are many benefits to consider as well since technology is making life easier. Here are some benefits of running with your phone:
- For Quick Access to Safety: Imagine that you hurt yourself, get lost, or feel unsafe while running, with your phone with you, you’re just a phone call away. When you run with your phone, it makes it easy for your friends and family to know your whereabouts and that you’re ok wherever you are. This is even more useful in case of an emergency.
- Access to GPS: If you’re running with your smartphone, you won’t get bothered about getting lost on that new route – thanks to the GPS technology. With any GPS app installed on your smartphone, you will be able to navigate a new route or area you’re not familiar with.
- Listen to Music: Listening to music while running not only inspires but also helps to stay focused. Rather than using MP3 players or iPods, you can create a playlist on your smartphone, plug in your earpiece/pods/headphones and listen to cool music as you run a few miles.
- To Track Your Mileage: This is a major benefit of running with your phone. If you’re using a smartphone, you can install a tracking app, such as MapMyRun or Strava, to record your pace, distance covered, and duration. This will help you to know how far you covered and whether you’re consistent with your training program or not.
- To Engage a Virtual Running Buddie: Running with your phone enables you to connect with friends far or near using FaceTime or Skype. You can keep one another motivated.
Where to Put Your Phone While Running?
Now that you know that running with your phone is a great idea, you may want to know where you should put your phone while running.
Knowing where you should put your phone while running is a big deal. You can’t just hold your phone in your hand while running because your arm muscles will soon get tired as you run and you may not be able to run efficiently.
More so, holding your phone tightly in one hand while running several miles is not a good idea as it can trigger some muscle imbalances. Finally, unless you protect your phone with a plastic bag, your phone will get very sweaty. Here are the best places to hold your phone when running:
- In a waist belt or waist bag
- In a zipped pocket of your running tights or shorts
- Strapped to your arm using an armband
- In your sports bra or chest pouch
- In a secure handheld bag or pouch
Click here to get some of the best phone holders for running options at affordable rates. Have you run with your phone? Can you share your experience? Kindly use the comment box below to tell us about your experience.