Google I/O was held virtually this year from May, 18 to May, 20. It is one of Google’s biggest events, that focuses on both company and product-related news. Let us dive into the main things announced in this event.
- It will contain Material You, which is an advanced version of material but has some notable changes.
- It comes with modern colour palettes.
- Includes new animations that float together.
- System colours will change in accordance with your wallpaper.
- Widgets have been updated to make them look more modern.
- Now called “Wear”.
- Merged with Samsung’s Tizen OS.
- Hence battery life improvements.
- 30 % times faster loading times.
- Will now be using two still images and its artificial intelligence software to create a very neat animation.
- Will enable password protection for selected photos that will not be shown when scrolling through the app.
- Google Photos ended its free unlimited storage on June 1st 2021, therefore you will have to buy extra space if 15GB isn’t enough.
- A new feature where we will be able to change a password for a website right from inside the password manager itself, thus saving us the hustle of going through the websites to do this.
- Selected Pixel and Samsung Galaxy smartphones will be able to work as digital car keys to unlock selected vehicles.
- Currently only BMW might work with this feature before other car manufacturers implement it.
- A video booth that uses depth sensors and high-res cameras to make a real-time 3D model of any person that is sitting across from you even when they are not actually there, hence avoiding the awkward eye contact that a typical video call has.
- It is as if the person you are talking to is right in front of you.
- Surely it will require very special hardware to pull it off but still, it is something innovational.
- It stands for ai language model for dialogue applications.
- It is designed to converse on any topic.
- It learns new concepts based on trainee data.
- Natural open-ended conversions that never take the same path twice and is never-ending.
- Maps will be more informative.
- It will provide various landmarks.
- Look at restaurants at different time of the day.
- Option to show how busy a specific area of town is.
- Lets you take a photo of a skin issue you are having and it will use artificial intelligence to help identify the skin condition and offer various information and condition.
Google Workspace Integrations
- Now you can @ mention not just people but files, Docs and Meets.
- Pageless Docs, so easier to work with wider tables or large images.
- Add emoji reactions to Docs.
- Assistant writing feature that will offer more inclusive language recommendations.
- Work with Google Meet directly from Docs.
Lots of interesting announcements from Google, some better than others. What is your favourite update? Let us know.